Wednesday, November 9, 2011

An Open Letter to Wilma Neri Taytay

Wilma Neri Taytay is the producer of the Up Dharma Down concert on November 26 at Karomata beside Punchbowl. This woman assigned me as coordinator to the band, the venue and the equipment, and also as consultant on how to run the show, how to dispose product sponsorship, etc. She pretty much went to me on every decision-making needed for the event to push through. We agreed upon the price of Php5,000 as my fee for the whole job. She asked if I needed a contract to formalize everything. I told her I didn’t think there was any need for that because this was an agreement between friends. I thought we would both hold up our end of the bargain.

I was wrong.

After attending meetings, doing PR work with the Up Dharma Down manager, after going through heavy rain to look for venues that best suited the event and contacting possible front acts, she matter-of-factly told me that they were cutting costs and my services were no longer needed. WHAT THE FUCK?

I kept calm and told her that’s ok, but that I require some compensation for the work that I’ve already put in. I don’t know if it was naivete or flat out stupidity, but she then proceeded to ask me, “What have you done so far?”

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? THE MAIN ARTIST, THE VENUE, THE FRONT ACTS, THE PRICING SCHEME, THESE WERE ALL MY IDEAS, BITCH. You’ve never heard of any of them before I mentioned them to you. You’ve never listened to the band’s music! Not to mention the hours I’ve spent waiting around to talk to the contacts just to set up meetings with you, and all the knowledge you took from me on how to run a show! You even wanted Up Dharma Down to play at Limketkai Atrium. I told you we wouldn’t fill the venue, and if we did, most of the people watching won’t know their songs, which would be a bummer for both the artist and the audience. You told me you didn’t care as long as the tickets have been paid.

Honestly, I quit believing that I was ever getting paid. But lo and behold, you messaged me on facebook, saying that you were going to “pay” me for the services I rendered. And this is how the conversation went:


  • Wilma Neri Taytay: pst mustaasa ka ron?bert hatag nako tong para sa imo
  • Wilbert Tan: karong pagbalik na lang nako manila nov 9 nak0 kuhaon. i'll let you know, thanks
  • Wilma Neri Taytay: niako cdo. asa man diay ka?
  • Wilbert Tan: villa candida bulua
  • Wilma Neri Taytay: ngee cdo ko cge txt lang ko kong when ka makaanha sa dvsoria. kong thursday pwd ka.
  • Wilbert Tan: ugma pwede
  • Wilma Neri Taytay: see you tom\txt txt tawhat time ka dv ugma?txt ko ha\
  • Wilbert Tan: buntag siguro mga 10am
  • Wilma Neri Taytay: cant sa buntag. after 5pm pa ko bert...

The next day, I texted you after 5pm and asked where we should meet. You didn’t even know who I was, you already erased my number, you fuck. Still, I kept calm and I asked you where you are. You told me you were at Dunkin Donuts, so I told you I was already on my way there. Then you replied with, “Check your messages, Bert, naa ko’y ka-meeting karon.” FOR CHRISSAKES, YOUR LAST MESSAGE TO ME WAS THAT YOU WERE FREE AFTER 5PM! I’VE CHECKED IT OVER AND OVER!

And still, I didn’t lash out. I just told you to deposit the money in my bank account because I’ll be leaving for Manila the next day.

THEN YOU TELL ME THAT WHAT YOU WERE PAYING ME WASN’T CASH, BUT A GIFT CERTIFICATE SOMEONE GAVE YOU FOR A FUCKING PERFUME? WHAT MADE YOU THINK THAT PAYING ME WITH YOUR GARBAGE WOULD SUFFICE FOR THE WORK I’VE DONE? YOU STUPID , STUPID BITCH! YOU HAVE FUCKED ME OVER, SIDEWAYS AND UNDER. I HAVE NEVER BEEN SCAMMED TO THIS EXTENT BEFORE. SO FUCK YOU AND FUCK THAT ONE-EYED BITCH YOU CALL YOUR BOSS. YOU DON’T CARE FOR THE ARTIST, THE AUDIENCE, THE PEOPLE WHO WORK FOR YOU, AND THE MUSIC! YOUR PRODUCTION WON’T LAST LONG, BECAUSE PEOPLE WON’T TRUST YOU, YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.

No comments: