Sunday, January 1, 2012

The City of Golden Friendster

The City of Golden Friendster (September 17th, 2009)

My city used to be glad
Now it looks so sad
I hope it doesn’t go mad


I’m back in the city where I once belonged, meeting up with old friends, going to new places. Everything seems better on the outside; lots of infrastructures being built, business establishments sprouting here and there, and people having the buying power to purchase necessary goods and services, along with having the extra income to splurge on themselves.

That is how everything looks from the outside.

But meeting up with my friends, asking how they’re doing, I see little cracks in their smiles. I look around and observe the people in my city. They look okay, but they don’t look happy.

What has my city become?

This city used to be so optimistic, so exuberant, so full of life. Sure, life was harder back then; the place looked more like a province than a city. But back then, the smiles looked genuine.

My city’s going mad
It makes me so sad
What will make them glad?

I see vast improvements in its facade; four bridges now on the river. Roads are being expanded to accommodate the increasing number of private vehicles. The old sportscenter now has a rubberized oval amounting to P40 million. Amusingly, I count 10 Jollibee outlets within the city proper. Suffice to say, the quality of living has improved leaps and bounds, but not, it may seem, the quality of life. Its people, they don’t look content. They look complacent.

The difference between content and complacent: content means you are happy with what you have, complacent means you don’t care what you have. Being complacent means you know there’s something better out there, but you don’t have the will to search for it. Being complacent means your spirit was taken away from you.

Did my city sell its soul? Did the people of this city become smarter, richer, and prettier but in turn lose its passion? Did it prostitute itself to technology and societal maturity just to turn its back on the things that really matter such as love? Compassion? Selflessness? God?

My city looks so sad
It’s driving me mad
But still I’m glad
‘Cause it’s the only city I’ve ever had

I miss my city. I don’t like what it has become. But I love it nonetheless.

No comments: