Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Blind Auditions

In some MRT stations, you'll find blind persons playing their guitars with a donation box settled in front of them. I used to ignore these people, thinking that we have government agencies for those sorts of things. It wasn't until i passed by them along with my musician friend that i had a change of heart.

This friend of mine was bassist, and whenever he came along these blind people during our hangouts, he always made it a point to put something in the donation boxes. After about three times observing this, I finally asked him about his peculiar habit.

He smirked, obviously amused by my query. Then he matter-of-factly said to me that he regarded the blind beggars as fellow musicians--just like us--only they weren't as fortunate to be earning a good living from their craft like we do. What he said hit me like a ton of bricks.

His words made me realize how lucky I actually am for doing something I love and making decent money out of it. It also made me realize that there are those who are people who are as passionate as me, but life simply wasn't able to deal them better cards. After that moment, I also made it a point to put something in those donation boxes.

Now I picture the possibility of a what if: What if I end up just like them--poor and helpless, with nary but my music to give me something to eat?

I have to admit, I am open to the possibility.

No comments: